Monday, January 19, 2009

Pastries from Marquet Patisserie

One thing I love to do on Sundays is get some good pastries and sit down with a coffee and the paper and read all morning. On this particular Sunday, I had a craving for the Apricot Danish from Marquet Patisserie (221 Court St., between Warren and Wycoff Streets, 718-855-1289). This little beauty is quite something to behold. The halves of apricot peek out from their cozy pastry nook, tasty sweet cheese is layered throughout, adding denseness to the flaky dough. It's not too sweet, is just the right size and is delicious.



My boyfriend wanted the Almond Croissant, a huge portion of flaky pastry with a layer of almond paste inside and almond slivers on the outside. This lasted us almost all day, as you cannot eat it all in one sitting. If you like almond flavor, then you'll like this. It's on the sweet side though, which adds to the necessity of eating it slowly.



I also got a Pain au Chocolat to round things out. This was pretty amazing. Real chocolate filled the interior, it was baked to perfection and was light and flaky and thoroughly enjoyable.



The coffee is good here as well, and while I've never tried the savory food, I hear they make a mean egg salad sandwich.

Marquet Patisserie on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

Those look amazing. Is Marquet in the space that used to be Cappuccino Cafe? I may be getting the name wrong. I used to love sitting in there for hours while I graded papers.

The pastries look much more stunning than the old place, but is the coffee just as good??

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Yes, it is the same space as Roberto Cappucino. I LOVED that place. The owner was a bit of a drag, but it was one of my favorites. The coffee is not as good at Marquet, unfortunately, but it's among the better places in the area.

M said...

you know, this dude marquet is French but no french pastry in my lifetime has ever looked or tasted this gummy and sticky. His tarts and bouche de noel are standard but yummy fair, but, he is not the pastry chef anymore. It's all mass produced. As much as I hate Provence au Boit on Smith: lousy service, mediocre brunch. Jean Jaques IS a master pastry chef and it shows: flakey croissant and pain au chocolate. Tastes like France not canned apricots. Still, Ce Ci Ce La in SoHo is better that both these places.

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Hmmm, looks like a taste test is in store...but I am going to stick to Brooklyn. Any other suggestions, readers?