Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bacchus French Bistro

Bacchus Bistro (409 Atlantic Ave. between Bond and Nevins, 718-852-1572, www.bacchusbistro.com) is a fun little place with a great, long backyard. The food is hit or miss though, with the appetizers generally being great and the entrees disappointing.

To start I ordered the Puff Pastry with Goat Cheese, and a Pear & Fig Jam. It Was Amazing! Really. The goat cheese was tangy, warm and melty, and went so well with the light phyllo dough and fruit. It doesn't look like much, but I savored every bite.



My boyfriend ordered the Sea Scallops with Braised Endive in a Burgandy Wine Sauce. These little guys were delicious too. Nice and big and almost meaty, gently seared to carmelized perfection in a delicious sauce.



For a main dish, I ordered the Duck with Raspberry Jam, Creamed Celery Root and String Beans. The duck was OK, but a little tough, and was DROWNING in raspberry jam. I had to scrape most of it off because it was too sweet. The creamed celery root was a nice alternate to mashed potato, but was so salty it wasn't as enjoyable as it could've been, and I like salt. The beans were good - nice and garlicky, but I wouldn't order this again.



My boyfriend ordered the Pork with a Butternut Squash and Potato Gratin. Again, everything was really salty, kind of shockingly so. The pork was good, juicy and flavorful, but they need to let up with the salt. I actually put some of the raspberry jam on a piece of the pork and found it to be wonderful. The sweetness cut the saltiness and added something to the meat. Strange. The squash & potato gratin was great though, and the broccoli was perfectly cooked and refreshing amid the salt.



I'd definitely go here again, I'd just stick to the appetizers and more simpler meals. They also have a good brunch.

No comments: