Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cuban at Cubana Cafe

What timing! Brownstoner picked the Cubana Cafe (272 Smith Street, between DeGraw & Sackett Streets, 718-858-3980) as their restaurant of the day yesterday, and I happened to have eaten there with a friend just the other night. Here's a peek at some of the dishes not mentioned in their post.

I love Tostones, crispy fried slices of Green Plantain, and the Cubana Cafe does 'em up nice. They are served with a sweet and spicy mango salsa and are plentiful on the colorful plate.



I also ordered the Chick Pea & Corn salad with greens and creamy dressing, which I had been craving and is the perfect dinner for a summer night. It's served cold and is light and delicious. I can't get enough.



My friend got the Shrimp and Avocado salad with greens which was surprisingly good. The plentiful shrimp were grilled, and there were lots of big slices of yummy ripe avocado.



We also ordered the Relleno de Papa which is mashed potato, stuffed with ground beef and fried to a cripsy finish. It was accompanied by the chick pea salad, but overall was a little disappointing. The beef was a bit mushy.



I like this place and overall think that it's a great little spot for dinner and lunch. The service can be spotty, but for the price it's a great deal.

Cubana Cafe on Urbanspoon UrbanSpoon has more reviews.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this place! The chick pea salad is simply the best :)