Thursday, August 27, 2009

Breakfast at Cafe Gialeti's

Oh breakfast, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I rarely use the word 'favorite', but I might just feel like breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out at a restaurant. And I love finding new places to do such eating. So it went that a friend and I happened to go to Gialeti's Cafe (1658 8th Avenue, at the corner of prospect Avenue, 718-768-0500) recently for breakfast, and to check the place out. It's mostly a breakfast & lunch spot, althought they are open until 8pm most nights. You place your order at the counter and your food is then brought to you at your table. It's very casual and laid-back, with a seemingly everyone-knows-each-other local Park Slope/Windsor Terrace vibe going on. I immediately liked it.

My friend got two eggs scrambled, Italian toast and a bowl of fruit. It wasn't exactly on the menu, but they made just what she wanted and she was very happy with her meal. Look at that fruit! Kiwis, strawberries, bananas, blueberries & raspberries, all fresh & sweet & perfect! I never see a side of fruit like that!



I felt like I was taking a chance when I ordered the Blueberry pancakes, but they were delicious. They were moist, fluffy and filled with blueberries. There was even a little sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on top which I thought was a super nice touch.



I also got the side of fruit and thoroughly enjoyed it. The bananas were perfectly ripe, the berries burst with flavor, even the kiwis tasted good!



I really liked this place and if I'm ever in the area in need of some sustenance, I'll know where to go. Not necessarily a place to go out of your way for, but an awesome local spot serving quality food.

1 comment:

ScoopSt. said...

Yummmmyyyy! I have to agree with you, I love breakfast! Give me some french toast or eggs and hashbrowns and I am a happy camper! This sounds like a neat place too the next time I'm in the area I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the great post.