Friday, April 10, 2009

Brunch at Apt. 138

As I've said many times before, I love Brunch. I'm also fond of an occasional drink in the middle of the day, which is maybe part of my love of Brunch. While ambling about on a recent warm day with nowhere in particular to go (another favorite of mine), my BF and I found ourselves hungry and in front of Apt. 138 (138 Smith Street between Bergen and Dean Streets, 718-858-0556). Serendipity at it's best! In we went, to a seat in the back near a huge potted plant that made our table feel secluded & private, and jungly, to enjoy some surprisingly good food.

I chose the Steak Sandwich with cheddar cheese, sauteed onion and garlic mayo. Filled with juicy pieces of steak on grilled Ciabatta bread, this sandwich was awesome. It totally hit the spot and was so tasty and savory with the onions and garlic mayo. It comes with a side of fries that were perfectly well-done and nicely salted with a little metal "ketchup boat" on the side to dunk them in.



I also ordered a Bloody Mary, not a typical drink for me, but this too was delicious and hit the spot. Spicy and strong, it complimented the hearty flavors of my sandwich.



My boyfriend got a Burger, of which there are four to choose from. He picked the House Burger (you can get turkey, crab and veggie too) with Havarti. Cooked exactly to order it was plump and juicy and had a nice meaty, smoky flavor. We inquired and were told they buy their meat from Los Paisanos, the butcher shop down the street.



Apartment 138 on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

I love brunch too, and I'm proud of it. I could live on brunch food. These choices look pretty good. Would they tolerate children if we came early?

FN said...

I love this place in the summer, out back in their backyard - one of the nicest on Smith St.

The sliders are good here too.

Anonymous said...

Crab burger? I'm totally in....

the haystack needle said...

That bloody mary looks so yum — we're always on the search for a good one!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Oh, well, the best Bloody Mary I've ever had was at O'Connor's on 5th Avenue on a Sunday afternoon. I think that bartender, who'd been there for ages and had been written up in many a NY publication, passed away, but perhaps he passed his skills on to the other bartenders there! Haven't been in a while.