Monday, December 22, 2008

Pulled Pork & Fried Chicken at Jake's

On cold, wintery nights I crave BBQ. I'm not even from the South, but it's total comfort food to me. If I can't get to Fette Sau, I turn to Jake's BBQ (189 Columbia Street, at DeGraw Street, 718-522-4531) and order in. Their menu is pretty extensive, ranging from all sorts of sides (Mac & Cheese, Rice & Black Eyed Peas) to BBQ Ribs to Jambalaya and other Seafood dishes, but I pretty much stick to a few tried and true options.

I usually get their Pulled Pork Sandwich. It's not a typical moist pulled pork that's got strands of pork, this seems more chopped than pulled. It's on the drier side, but is definitely still tasty with plenty of smoky BBQ flavor. It comes on a choice of bread (I always get it on a roll) and it comes with Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Fries or Cole Slaw. Their slaw is some of the best I've ever had, and the sliced pickles go SO well and the BBQ sauce is spicy and tangy. I don't know why anyone would get mayo or mustard with this. It's also big enough to split between two people.



I ended up getting the Macaroni Salad which is decent. I do love this shape of pasta, and with little pieces of carrot and bell pepper, it's a little reprieve from the greasy, meatiness of the rest of the food!



On this occasion I also ordered their appetizer of Kansas City Fried Chicken which comes with five pieces. This is big enough for a meal, but is perfect to share along with the Pulled Pork Sandwich. This breaded outside is perfectly salty and the meat is tender and juicy. Some of the pieces aren't very meaty, but it's satisfying nonetheless.



I also ordered a side of the Collard Greens because I thought we needed a vegetable. They too were tasty and not overcooked as is often the case with Collard Greens at BBQ joints. They were simply seasoned and I didn't see any meat, so they might just be pure vegetable.



I'm thankful Jake's is close by when the craving strikes!

Jake's Bar B Que Restaurant on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks good, but People need to eat this in MODERATION!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Yup. Couldn't agree more.