Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mediterranean Tapas at Beast

My boyfriend and I met up with some friends late Sunday night at Beast, (638 Bergen St., corner of Vanderbilt Ave., 718-399-6855), a place I've been wanting to go for years now. I've heard mixed reviews but found the food to be really yummy, the drink I had was delicious, and the atmosphere is like a comfy, local bar. The food is "Mediterranean Tapas" which maximizes one's ability to sample a variety of flavors and dishes.

We ordered the Seared Diver Scallops which came served over Squash Puree, Fried Leeks and a Balsamic Drizzle and the Polenta with Portabella Mushrooms and Blue Cheese. The scallops were delicious and meaty, the squash smooth and almost sweet and the fried leeks added an interesting crunch.



The polenta was good too. Slightly chunky, it was a little like corn chowder. The portabellas added an earthy component and the warm bowl was perfect comfort food on a cold night.



Our friends got the Blue Point Lager Braised Short Ribs with Potato Smash and Corn Salsa. This. Was. AMAZING. The meat was so tender, it just fell apart at the touch of a fork. The corn and potato were a hearty combination and the flavors were complex and delicious.



We also treated ourselves and got dessert. Our friends got the Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce. This was good, but too cold for my taste. It was creamy and dense, but I prefer a warm cakey chocolate dessert instead.



My boyfriend and I ordered the Ginger Creme Brulee which was awesome. There was just a hint of ginger and the top was perfectly caramelized and crisp. It didn't take long for us to gobble this up!



The drink I got was a Pumpkin Pie Martini which I didn't take a photo of. This was delicious too, and I'm not usually a fan of frou-frou drinks. It was made with house-infused vanilla pumpkin vodka, Bailey's Irish Cream, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. It was so tasty, and warmed me up as well. I really enjoyed everything during our evening at Beast, and will definitely go back.

No comments: