Friday, January 15, 2010

Dinner at No. 7

No. 7 (7 Greene Ave., at Fulton St., 718- 522-6370) is virtually hidden by the subway entrance right outside it's door. Upon first entrance, you see the long, dark-wood bar with frosted glass and mirrors, tall stools and a marble counter. The subway-tiled walls and white tile floors add an urban elegance to the space and in the back dining room the skylights bring light and spaciousness. It was a bit chilly on the coldest night of the season, but that was easily overlooked by the general coziness exuding from everyone there. The cocktail list is full of herbs, bitters and infused vodkas; I stuck to a Gimlet.

More enamored with the appetizers, I chose two of them instead of one main dish. The Fried Broccoli caught my eye with grapefruit and black beans. I think it was dunked in a Miso batter before being cooked - it was a bit "gluey" and salty, but the black bean sauce and citrus over bitter greens cut that nicely. Interesting, but not something I'd get again.



I also chose to get the Soft Boiled Fried Egg with arugula and roast pork. Three lean slices of tasty roast pork accompanied a pile of arugula salad topped with two halves of a soft boiled egg, coated in bread crumbs and gently fried. This was fabulous! The flavors of the creamy yolk, the salty meat and the fresh greens went so well together.



My friend went with the Grilled Arctic Char, which came on top of baby Brussels sprouts, topped with a celery root mash and lychee. Again, everything combined to make one delicious dish. Each flavor and consistency adding to the other.



I really liked No. 7 and look forward to going back again soon!

No. 7 on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks SO good!

Nomi Lubin said...

Do I come to this blog hungry or does it always make me hungry? Both, I think!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Hey Nomi! Nice to hear from you! I agree, there's something about reading about (and seeing) food that stimulates the appetite! Thankfully there are many ways to satisfy!