Monday, January 18, 2010

Cafe Pedlar

Crowded on a recent weekday morning, Cafe Pedlar (210 Court St., corner of Warren St., 718-855-7129) had about 6 people behind the counter, none of whom seemed to be actually working, instead they were talking loudly to each other as if performing for the waiting customers. The end result is that you feel like someone not in on the joke. Not something you want to be cultivating in a neighborhood coffee joint. It's too bad, because the space is lovely to be in - the Franks really know how to decorate. The coffee, on the other hand, is a bit perplexing.



Always gorgeously presented, the taste is slightly different each time. Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's burnt-tasting or a bit watery, and many times it's been slightly & mysteriously sweet. On this particular visit it was great - creamy and full-bodied.

I also ordered an Almond Croissant, which was very good. Flaky, sweet, filled with almond paste and covered in confectioners sugar. It's a pretty large serving as well.



So, like I said, I often find it frustrating to be in there, but a well-made latte is sometimes worth it.

Cafe Pedlar on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

CGdesigngirl said...

There is something about the atmosphere of Pedlar that I don't love. It doesn't have a 'come and site for a while' feeling. I have to agree about the inconsistency the Frankie group is having with the coffee. I was getting mine at Prime meats but it became bitter or weak so I stopped. I don't think Stumptown would be happy to hear about that...

CGdesigngirl said...

There is something about the atmosphere of Pedlar that I don't love. It doesn't have a 'come and site for a while' feeling. I have to agree about the inconsistency the Frankie group is having with the coffee. I was getting mine at Prime meats but it became bitter or weak so I stopped. I don't think Stumptown would be happy to hear about that...

Anonymous said...

they brew a different blend each day. that's why it always tastes different.

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Different blend, OK. But bitter & watery is not yummy.

Michael said...

I had been at cafe pedlar a couple of times before and I must agree with you that they serve up a great cup of coffee That almond croissant looks really yummy, I hope I can have that on my next visit. Thanks for this great post! Kudos!

Nomi Lubin said...

I was excited about this place at first cause it's Stumptown coffee and I'm desperate for good coffee. But I have always found it weak, watery, not just light or delicate. Disappointing. I've tried them a bunch of times because I keep thinking it has to be better than that, but I haven't even gotten the "burnt" version. Agree too about the atmosphere. Hard to pinpoint, but not exactly welcoming somehow. Agree that it looks great.