Monday, November 24, 2008

Tex-Mex at Pequena

Looking for some good Tex-Mex food some friends and I went to Pequena (86 S. Portland Ave., between Fulton & Lafayette) to see what we could find. True to its name, Pequena can fit only about 20 people. It's a bit tight, but the colorful decorations help create a fun atmosphere and if you're open, spontaneous conversations occur with your neighbors.

I got there early so I ordered a Margarita while I waited. I got it on the rocks with salt, and it was perfect - tart, strong and delicious. You don't get a basket of chips with salsa unless you order it, which feels a bit stingy, and since I was waiting for the rest of my party before I ordered, it would have been nice to have something to nosh on while I sipped my drink.

So, I ordered the Shrimp Tostadas after seeing the same dish arrive to the woman sitting to my right and finding it appealing. You get two crispy tortillas covered in shrimp, guacamole, tomatoes and cotija cheese. Everything was delicious except for the chewy, rubbery shrimp. They seemed to have been frozen and were terribly disappointing. All dishes come as an appetizer or as a main, which includes beans and rice. The beans were great - black, flavorful, if a bit salty, and the yellow rice was good.



My boyfriend ordered the Fish Tacos. You get three thin corn tortillas, covered with flaky white fish, chunks of avocado and a very spicy sauce. Too hot for my taste, but flavorful. One of my friends got the Mushroom Tacos, which look just like the photo below, but with big slices of fresh mushrooms instead of fish.



My other friend got the Chicken Enchiladas Verdes which she loved. These were spicy too, very fresh tasting and slightly vinegary, in a good way. Covered in melted cheese and cilantro this was probably the best dish of the night.



All in all the food here was decent and will fulfill your craving for Tex-Mex. Just stay away from the Shrimp!

No comments: