Monday, September 28, 2009

Robicelli's One Year Anniversary

5/19/10: I never updated this; probably because I was so sad. Robicelli's had to close. But, their cupcakes became so popular, they're still in business doing customs orders. You can still get your Elvis cupcake fix!

I went to Robicelli's Gourmet Market on Friday to celebrate their one-year anniversary. I forgot my camera, so bear with me as I describe all the things there were to eat without seeing photos - you'll just have to go to the store to see & taste for yourself! They had a big pot of their famous Butternut Squash soup that got them into the food business in the first place. It was so creamy and flavorful - I'm not a huge soup fan but I could eat this every day for a week and be happy! It was a lovely bright orange color too, certain to cheer you up on rainy, winter days.

There was also a big pan of roasted Brussels sprouts made with lemon juice which I really liked - definitely a new way to have sprouts that made them zesty and fresh instead of their normal earthy mustiness, in addition to roasted broccoli with pignoli nuts, nicely browned & seasoned. (Photo courtesy of Cupcakes Take the Cake via Flickr.)



There were also Pork Belly BLTs that were INCREDIBLE! Parts of the pork were nicely burnt, which made them crisp and crunchy, and the sandwich was completely decadent. There was also an egg salad sandwich made with olive oil and soft-boiled eggs so they made their own mayonnaise. Delicious.

It wouldn't be a trip to Robicelli's without cupcakes, and just for this special occasion, Allison made a Kiwanis Cupcake, based on the special-occasion-cake of her childhood. White cake with banana in the center, with banana (butterscotch?) frosting and topped with a cream puff and a slice of chocolate covered strawberry (help me out Allison, did I remember it correctly?). So rich, so complex - amazing for a small dessert.

There's so much good stuff going on there, I highly encourage you to visit. Run by a husband & wife team, they are always trying to do the best by their customers while also keeping their food top-notch. They are so dedicated to their neighborhood and to keeping business local, they're changing the products they carry to reflect a more NY-based selection.



Allison & Matt with their famous cupcakes. (Photo courtesy of Cathyerway via Flickr.)

3 comments:

Allison said...

We had such a wonderful time- thank you so much for coming down and sharing this big occasion with us!

The Kiwanis is a vanilla cupcake filled with chopped bananas, vanilla pudding and toasted walnuts. It's then topped with mocha buttercream, and chocolate dipped strawberries and cream puffs. I will be making them next for our second birthday, but we still have a few left if anyone wants to come by tomorrow. Though we won't be offering this big cupcake again soon, it's only two weeks until the release of our next major cupcake: "Chicken and Waffles".

The egg salad sandwich is called "The Romana"- an olive oil based mayo-free egg salad with proscuttio, fresh ricotta and basil leaves, and cracked pepper on toasted ciabatta. The pork belly BLT is available for our weekend brunch, but only when we can get female bellies in (males aren't as flavorful, and aren't good enough for our standards).
We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Bay Ridge!

Yvo Sin said...

CHICKEN AND WAFFLE CUPCAKES???? *passes out*

It was really nice meeting you the other night! This explains, also, why I was the only one taking pictures. I must've been the only one who rememebered my camera. :)

Gail said...

I bought a dozen cupcakes for a special occasion that I had with my family this past weekend and all everyone talked about were the delicious cupcakes! The highlight of our evening!!!