Friday, July 3, 2009

Dinner at Pane e Vino

So, I've had a bit of a goal for myself since starting this blog, almost one year ago, and that was to eat at every restaurant in my neighborhood. It sometimes feels impossible because new places open up all the time, and then there are the places that are just so good, I want to go back to them instead of trying a new place. I also like to cook and can't go out to eat all the time anyway, so I've got a ways to go, but I'm still working on it! Which leads me to my recent visit to Pane e Vino (174 Smith Street, between Warren & Wyckoff Streets, 718-501-1010) that made me curse this goal and wish I had just gone to Fragole, yet again, just because I'm never let down there. All is not lost though: if you heed my words and avoid this place, my sacrifice of a good dinner will be worth it.

I ate here years ago during their opening weekend when they had a pig roast in the "backyard" and were celebratorily giving away portions to all diners who were interested. I remember it being a lovely, festive spot with tasty food. Sadly, this was not the case the other evening.

We started out with the Burrata, an interesting concoction that consists of a mozzarella cheese pouch filled with mozzarella and cream. We cut the shell open and out spilled a milky, creamy liquid. I've never seen anything like it and was a little weirded out, but intrigued. One bite though and we knew that something was wrong; the cheese had turned and was sour and off. Bummer. They took it away and after initially trying to explain that it was supposed to taste that way (it's not, it's supposed to be sweet and creamy like the freshest mozzarella), they ended up not charging us for it. Kudos to them.



We also ordered the Grilled Calamari over Greens as another appetizer to share. The calamari was rubbery & chewy and obviously had been frozen. We also found a piece of foil with the letters "SQUD" on it mixed into the salad. How sad. The salad was all wrong too - romaine and shredded carrots instead of mixed field greens or arugula.



As our entree we ordered the Spinach & Cheese Ravioli in a Sage Butter sauce. These were your typical from the box little raviolis. They tasted fine, a bit on the salty side, but nice enough with the fresh sage. I ate all of my share but ended up feeling a little sick from the heaviness. Oh well.



That's all I have to say. We got out of there as soon as we could and won't be back.

2 comments:

Nomi Lubin said...

Oh dear.

Jennifer Galatioto said...

WOWO THIS SUCKS! So they say like 90% of restaurants fail in the city. Probably because they aren't good. So by trying to eat at EVERY SINGLE PLACE you are going to eat at a lot of BAD place like this one...and I can selfishly just read your blog and know what to avoid! ;-)