Friday, March 20, 2009

Brunch at Dizzy's

In all my years in Brooklyn, I had never eaten at Dizzy's (511 9th Street, at the corner of 8th Avenue, 718-499-1966). I had passed by numerous times only to see crowds of people waiting on the sidewalk, coffees in hand, hoping to get a table soon. There's seating outside, even in chilly weather to accommodate the spillover, as Dizzy's is one of the most popular spots in the area. I met a friend before a work-related meeting we had to go to one recent Sunday, and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

First you're given a basket with mini-muffins, scone-type baked goods and small containers of strawberry butter, which sounds weird but is actually quite delightful. Sweet, salty and creamy - how could you go wrong? The little muffins are perfect - just enough to tide you over, but not big enough to ruin your appetite.

On this occasion I ordered the Huevos Rancheros, something I usually don't get. Two eggs any style on corn tortillas with veggie chili (full of beans and corn), topped with tomato salsa, cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It was so good. It really hit the spot in that very satisfying, hearty way. The eggs were perfectly runny, the salsa was flavorful and the tortillas had been warmed up.



My friend ordered an Omelette by Design - egg whites only for her - and a side of turkey bacon which was surprisingly tasty. Served with toast and homefries. All brunch orders come with coffee AND juice too, which is such a nice bonus.



Despite the crowds, we were seated quickly and our food came promptly as well. Our waiter was competent and humorous and the vibe is kind of joyous & celebratory. Definitely a great spot to grab a casual brunch with a friend.

Dizzy's on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Melissa Good Taste said...

Huevos Rancheros are my fav! Def. comfort food! Yummo.