Friday, October 1, 2010

Brunch at Lilla Cafe

****UPDATE - Lilla Cafe has Closed. 6/3/15****


More Brunch! There are a ton of new places all of a sudden, and I want to check them all out! Last weekend I went to Lilla Cafe (126 Union St., between Hicks St. and Columbia St., 718-855-5700) with a friend and had a really lovely experience. We sat in the backyard, next to a pretty little garden and at one point, the chef came out to cut some fresh herbs! They got lots of points for that! We ordered coffee and juice and relaxed in the breeze.

We started out with the Panzanella Salad, with chunks of bread, cucumber, tomato, roasted red pepper, calamata olives, red onions and capers in a balsamic dressing. It was delicious, with the Mediterranean flavors mingling, the briny capers bursting through and the bread making it dense and substantial. Quite good.



I went with the Egg Sandwich on Foccacia, with cheese and bacon and a small side salad. This was also really good. The bread wasn't too "bread-y" but rather nicely herbed and toasted. The portions were well balanced and made for a satisfying dish.



My friend ordered the Huevos Rancheros with refried beans and spicy tomatoes. She said it was fairly spicy and very tasty, although it could have used a little sprig of something green, or perhaps some avocado for some color. The eggs were well poached too, no runny whites at all. In addition to the beans was a side of cheesy grits. Always a plus!



All in all it was a great experience. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and the menu had a number of enticing options. The menu changes every eight weeks or so, and I'm eager to go back and try their dinner. I hope they make it - that spot has had such bad luck!

2 comments:

nycfoodie said...

I've been there for dinner, and it's pretty amazing. I had the grilled octopus (succulent), grilled organic chicken (moist), and apple cobbler (perfectly tart).

I have yet to go for brunch but based on this review, it sounds delicious as well.

Anonymous said...

Making my mouth water was I read....have to go there for sure!