Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Scones from Fairway

The Fairway in Red Hook (480-500 Van Brunt Street, Brooklyn (718) 694-6868, Hours: 8AM-10PM Daily, Cafe 8AM-8PM Daily) has a little secret hidden at the back of the store. A "veranda" as I overheard someone call it yesterday, looking out at the harbor, Staten Island and a multitude of boats and aquatic life. There are a number of tables out there, some in the shade, others in the sun, where you can take food prepared at the "Cafe" and dine in the glory that is the waterfront.

It makes me happy to just be sitting out there, but what REALLY makes me happy are the Fairway scones. Delish. Perfectly buttery, light and crumbly, topped with sugar and loaded with the fruit of your choice. I tend to stick to the cranberry or raisin scones, although they have other fruits (currants, blueberries, peach) as well as plain.



Having just come from a swim at the Red Hook Pool, I had a yen for a salami sandwich - there's something about sun and chlorine that gives me very random yet specific cravings. The Cafe doesn't make food to order, so I had to go with the "Ba Da Bing" sandwich from the menu (I know, I know, I was so embarrassed just ordering it) which was salami, soppressata, AND capicola, with provolone AND mozarella. I had them wrap up half since it was made with like, a whole loaf of ciabatta bread. It certainly was satisfying, with real buffalo mozzarella and lovingly presented on a plate with a mixed greens salad and potato chips. I was so hungry, I forgot to take a picture before digging in!

There's a full range of meal options offered at the Fairway Cafe, including egg dishes for breakfast and even a lobster roll for nine bucks! The coffee's not bad either.

1 comment:

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I love the Fairway on the UWS, but it doesn't have a veranda. How awesome!